Saturday, June 7, 2014

Apple is Strange

I remember the first time I walked into an Apple store in my local mall; all the shiny, smooth white products gave me the impression that I was walking into the future.  I bought a Mac Book Pro, and was so impressed by the build quality and the simplicity of the operating system.  I was immediately of total Apple convert.  I owned several iterations of the iPod, and the iPod Touch was favorite gadget.

Over time, I realized that, while Apple products are nice, buying one of them does not equate to entering the future.  They have their uses, like anything else, but they are not necessarily the best choice for everything. Apple has often marched to the beat of their own drum, offering consumers a heavily locked-down platform; so much so that it is not uncommon for an iPhone owner to "jailbreak" it.  I should note that I am not a fan boy of any brand (Apple, Android, Windows Phone); every brand some things really well, and other things that leave me scratching my head.

After the recent WWDC 14, Apple seems to be taking a different approach to development.  Changing to a different programming language, allowing third-party keyboards, and a slew of other things has developers excited.  I applaud Apple for this new direction, but then I read something like this.  Now, this article should be taken with grain of salt, since the information came from a leak, which is not always accurate.  However, if it is true, and Apple is actually planning to make the consumer by special proprietary headphones just to get basic functionality out of an iPod, then I currently have the last iPod I will ever purchase.  I have a few pairs of headphones around the house, and if their devices will not work with said headphones, then I have no need for them.

It just seems like such a bizarre contradiction to the focus Apple seemed to display at the WWDC.  I hope the decision to replace the headphone jack with lightning port is an exaggerated one.

No comments:

Post a Comment